A new year and new opportunities – what better time to revamp your life!
The new year is a great time to sit back and reflect on how things went in the previous year, be it good, bad or so so.
Additionally, it’s a great time to think about things you would like to change, and things you would like to keep the same (or better!). After all, if you had a crappy year, then why keep doing the same things – especially things you can change!
Rather than making a New Years resolution or three you won’t keep, here’s 52 ways to help you take charge and revamp your life in 2019.
And remember, it’s not a race! You could tackle your life-revamp like a bull in a china shop OR more like the tortoise in Tortoise and a Hare i.e slow and steady.
- Create a vision board for the year. This could be online, using a pinup board, on a sheet of A3 paper. Regardless of what you use to create your vision board, fill it with things that will guide and inspire you throughout the year, be it photos, pictures, quotes, ‘to do’s’ and more!
- Practice saying ‘no’. If it’s not a hell yes then it’s a hell no. Use this motto to guide every decision you make this year!
- Book a holiday in advance so you have something to look forward to!
- Embrace minimalism and declutter your living spaces – go on, be ruthless
- Research capsule wardrobes and develop your own. Capsule wardrobes work because they make sense and take the stress out of getting dressed every day!
- Hold a garage sale or haul your ‘good junk’ to a car-boot sale for a profit!
- Vow to live more consciously and sustainably by focussing on a particular area in your life per month or quarter. You could aim for something as simple as using less plastic, using eco-friendly cleaning products (or making your own) or not buying cheap clothes that don’t last and you don’t need!
- Go sober for a month – you choose the month. It will be good for you and your liver will love you for it!
- Make time for yourself, often – me-time is so good for the soul!
- Take up a new hobby, enrol in a course or take some lessons
- Get a new hairstyle. It’s amazing how much of a difference this can make!
- Drink more water, daily
- Write daily, weekly and even monthly to-do lists
- Turn your bedroom into a sanctuary conducive for rest, relaxation and even some play! Invest in new pillows and bed linen, give the walls a fresh lick of paint, aim to make your bed every morning, and minimise clutter by actually putting your clothes and shoes away out of sight!
- Practice gratitude daily
- Discover why the Dane’s are so happy and embrace hygge – you will thank me for it (although your partner or friends may start to question your addiction to candles. C’est la vie, I say!)
- Go vegetarian 1-2 days a week – good for you, good for the planet!
- Set yourself a tech curfew. Unplug no later than 7pm each evening or at a minimum 2 hours before you go to bed each night
- Start a budget – and live according to it
- If you keep forgetting to do something, schedule it in your calendar. I’ve started setting reminders for myself to meditate – as I get so caught up in life I forget to do it!
- Embrace and own whatever age you’re turning this year!
- Unplug 1 day a week – you can do it! Sundays are great days to unplug (and perhaps the easiest)
- Eat breakfast every day
- Set yourself some clear goals to aim for throughout the year – be sure to write them down and revisit them every 4 months!
- Celebrate the small things and the small wins
- Be prepared. From laying out your clothes, meal prepping, to packing your bag the day before, a little planning and preparation goes a long way
- Focus on your health and wellbeing – both physically and mentally
- Set clear boundaries. This could include not immediately responding to things unless urgent, prioritising family first, taking your breaks, not gossiping, only surrounding yourself with people who life you up, and more.
- Incorporate more movement into your days
- Go on a regular date night with your partner. If you’re stuck for ideas, brainstorm a list of ‘date night’ ideas for the year
- Develop a side hustle – you never know what it could lead to!
- Kickstart your savings for the year by ensuring you pay yourself first – even if you transfer as little as $10 a fortnight into your secret savings account
- Stop buying takeaway coffee. Imagine the money you will save!
- Schedule fun activities throughout the year so you have things to look forward to
- End a bad relationship or friendship – they aren’t worth your time, seriously
- Surround yourself with positivity and people who lift you up
- Revamp your workspace. If you work in an office, clear the clutter, ditch the paper, surround yourself with succulents and beautiful stationary, and add a photo or two to inspire you. You could even have a work VISION BOARD!
- Set yourself a challenge. It could be physical, such as jumping out of a plan, or something less … life-threatening, such as speaking at a conference, writing a book, asking for a pay rise or tackling 5 items on this list!
- Keep a journal. There’s so many styles! Bullet, travel, gratitude… explore what’s out there, buy yourself a beautiful notebook and pen, and get journaling!
- Make it your mission to make someone smile, laugh or give someone a compliment ONCE A WEEK
- Join a group, club or team
- Clear out your pantry and fridge. Buy yourself some new sealed containers and reorganise with labels according to usage and what goes with what!
- Volunteer for a cause close to your heart
- Create a self-care ‘survival’ kit for the not-so-good days
- Get on top of your life admin. Organise your bills, review your insurances and other expenses, do your taxes on time, cancel subscriptions to mailing lists you don’t need to be signed up to, ‘unlike’ and ‘unfollow’ pages and people you don’t need to be following… you get the picture!
- Prioritise quality sleep – because it’s good for your mental and physical health and because you’re no good when you’re tired!
- Stop multi-tasking and start focussing on doing one thing at a time! (It is doable!)
- Renovate or redecorate your house
- Book yourself in for a pamper session. Get your hair done, get a manicure or pedicure, or maybe treat yourself to a massage! You deserve it 🙂
- Been thinking about a sea-change or a tree-change. Perhaps 2019 is the year?!
- Declutter your handbag once a week
- Find a new job or change careers. Now if I could do it in my mid-to-late 30’s, than you can too!
And now it’s over to you. What areas of your life are you going to revamp in 2019? Or perhaps this list has given you some ideas of your very own? I’d love hear about them!
Here’s wishing you a happy new year full of health, happiness, fun and good vibes.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.